Palestinian families fled their tents in eastern Gaza City overnight after Israeli airstrikes, artillery fire and gunfire hit areas around Shujaiya and Tuffah, in another flare-up near the Israeli-controlled “yellow line”.

Three Palestinians were wounded in Israeli artillery fire and taken to Al-Ahli Arab Hospital, according to Palestinian reports. A local news outlet, Masdar News, also reported two Israeli airstrikes in eastern Gaza City and said a house belonging to the Jarada family was struck in Shujaiya.

Residents on the western edges of Shujaiya and Tuffah left tents near the neighbourhoods during the night as Israeli forces carried out strikes and heavy artillery fire, Asharq Al-Awsat reported.

Some families initially sought shelter around Al-Ahli hospital before returning after daybreak to collect belongings and move their tents elsewhere.

The violence centred on territory close to the “yellow line”, which separates areas controlled by Israeli forces from the rest of Gaza under the ceasefire arrangements.

Asharq Al-Awsat, citing a local field source, reported that the escalation followed the explosion of an explosive device inside a house used by members of an armed Palestinian group operating in the Israeli-controlled area. The source said members of the group may have been wounded.

The newspaper said Israeli Army Radio subsequently reported that several members of an armed group had been wounded in the explosion.

The Israeli military said an explosive device detonated near the yellow line overnight and that gunfire was directed towards the same area. It said no Israeli soldiers were wounded and that its forces subsequently attacked targets around the line.

Israel described the incident as a violation by Hamas. Gazatte could not independently establish who planted the explosive device or who was responsible for the reported gunfire.

The overnight bombardment follows a renewed increase in Israeli attacks across Gaza after a period in which major strikes had been scaled back under pressure from US President Donald Trump.

Israeli airstrikes killed two Palestinians on 13 August, including Gaza City police chief Jamal Abu Kmail, according to Palestinian medics. Israel said one of those strikes targeted a Hamas commander who was planning an attack on its troops.

Further Israeli strikes over the weekend hit Khan Younis and Nuseirat. At least five Palestinians were wounded when one strike hit a tent encampment, and one of those wounded later died, according to medics cited by Reuters. Israel said the attacks targeted members of Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

The renewed attacks have coincided with diplomatic efforts to advance Trump's latest Gaza roadmap. His envoys Jared Kushner and Nickolay Mladenov met Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday, with Hamas officials attending some of the discussions.

The US proposal calls for an immediate halt to military operations, the disarmament of Hamas and a phased Israeli withdrawal while Gaza is placed under a new Palestinian civilian administration. Hamas has said it accepted the roadmap while demanding that Israel first meet commitments including stopping attacks and withdrawing its forces.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected the current proposal. Reuters reported that Israeli officials were particularly concerned by Washington's demand that Israel halt targeted killings in Gaza.

The October 2025 ceasefire ended the two years of full-scale warfare but did not stop Israeli attacks. Israeli fire has killed more than 1,250 Palestinians in Gaza since the ceasefire, most of them civilians, according to Reuters, while four Israeli soldiers have been killed by Palestinian fighters. The number of Palestinian fighters among those killed is unclear.

For families living near the yellow line in eastern Gaza City, Monday's bombardment brought another displacement. Some who fled during the night returned only to remove their belongings and search for somewhere farther from the Israeli-controlled area to pitch their tents.