Zambian authorities have arrested 11 people, including senior opposition figures, over an alleged plot for an armed insurrection, accusations rejected by the country's main opposition party as President Hakainde Hichilema widened his lead in the presidential election.
The government said police raided premises in Lusaka's Kabulonga district around the time of Thursday's election and found what it described as high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other material intended for an insurrection. It said those targeted had been under surveillance for months.
Six opposition figures were among those charged and held in custody, according to the government. Opposition presidential candidate Brian Mundubile was at the premises when the operation took place but was not listed among those detained.
Mundubile's party rejected the government's account, calling the accusations “spurious and entirely false” and denying that its leadership or members were involved in an insurgency or militia activity.
“We are political leaders, activists and citizens seeking change through the ballot, not combatants,” the opposition said, according to reports of its statement.
There are significant differences between the two accounts of the raid.
The government said the operation took place on 13 August, election day, and that people inside the premises fired at law enforcement officers, prompting an exchange of gunfire.
The opposition said the raid occurred on 14 August at Mundubile's home. It denied that its members opened fire and said a parliamentarian was shot during the operation.
Mundubile described the raid as “an attempt on my life” and said colleagues had been shot in his presence. Publicly available accounts have not independently established the circumstances of the shooting or verified the government's allegations about the weapons and an insurrection plot.
The arrests have added to tensions surrounding Zambia's presidential, parliamentary and local elections, held on 13 August.
Hichilema, 64, is seeking a second five-year term after defeating former president Edgar Lungu in 2021. By Monday, his share of valid votes had risen to about 62%, with results declared from roughly 71% of constituencies, according to figures reported by Reuters.
Mundubile had about 36%. A candidate needs more than 50% of valid votes to win the presidency without a run-off.
Mundubile has challenged the integrity of the count, saying he had received information about the possible alteration of polling-station result forms and calling for an independent investigation. He has not provided public evidence establishing that results were manipulated.
Hichilema's spokesperson Clayson Hamasaka rejected the accusations, telling Reuters: “It's all lies.”
The vote count itself was briefly suspended on Friday after the Electoral Commission of Zambia reported attacks on election workers and the theft of marked ballot papers.
Commission chair Mwangala Zaloumis later announced that counting would resume after security agencies concluded the threat had been contained. The commission did not identify those responsible for the violence or alleged theft.
Riot police and soldiers in armoured vehicles were deployed around parts of Lusaka during the interruption, including the main results centre. Police separately said a party official had been killed at a polling station during Thursday's vote and that nine suspects were arrested.
The developments are unusual in Zambia, which has generally experienced peaceful elections and transfers of power since returning to multiparty democracy in 1991.
The campaign was already marked by accusations from opposition parties and civil society groups that Hichilema's government was restricting political meetings and other opposition activities. His administration denies suppressing dissent.
The election is also a test of Hichilema's economic record. His government has overseen a restructuring of Zambia's sovereign debt and improvements in inflation and currency stability, although high living costs and widespread poverty remain major concerns for voters.
Zambia's copper and critical-mineral resources have also attracted growing attention from both China and the United States, adding international interest to the outcome.
The Electoral Commission continued counting ballots on Monday as Hichilema's lead increased. Mundubile's opposition camp has indicated it could challenge the result, while the allegations surrounding the Kabulonga raid remain disputed.
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.