Israeli forces tightened restrictions around the Ras al-Ain area of Qusra on Saturday, bringing in a bulldozer to block roads while maintaining a military presence in the West Bank town for a third consecutive day.
The move came as three Palestinian families remained caught in a prolonged siege by Israeli settlers, who have surrounded their homes in Ras al-Ain, south of Nablus. Recent reports said the families had faced shortages of water and electricity, while activists attempting to deliver supplies were prevented from reaching them.
Qusra Mayor Abdul Azim Wadi told The New Arab that Israeli forces had expanded the restricted area to cover Ras al-Ain, which he estimated at about 7,000 dunams. He said a bulldozer was brought into the area early on Saturday and used to close several roads leading to it.
Wadi said Israeli forces were still occupying the home of Yusuf Hassan, while they had withdrawn from the houses of Rizq Hassan and Qusai Abu Rida. He warned that the measures could be intended to pressure residents into leaving their homes, citing the earlier case of the Tubasi family.
The military presence followed an operation on Thursday in which Israeli forces moved into Qusra, dismantled two settler outposts and deployed troops in the area. The Israeli military said its soldiers had been sent to protect residents and maintain security, and said Qusra residents would remain in their homes.
The siege began on Sunday, according to the families and activists cited by AP, when settlers surrounded three homes and blocked access. Israeli forces intervened several times, but residents said the settlers repeatedly returned after troops withdrew.
The United Nations said about 15 Palestinians, including two children, were trapped inside the homes without water or electricity. On Friday, activists carrying food and water attempted to reach the families but were turned back by Israeli forces.
The US ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, condemned the siege and said Israeli military and police had moved against the settlers after a US request. He described the actions against the Palestinian-American family involved as criminal.
The situation in Qusra has also drawn wider attention because of concerns that prolonged sieges could force Palestinian families from their homes. AP reported that residents feared settlers could take control of the properties if families were compelled to leave.
Elsewhere in the West Bank on Saturday, Palestinians, including children, suffered tear-gas inhalation during an Israeli military raid on al-Mughayyir, northeast of Ramallah, following an attack by settlers on the village, according to Palestinian reports.
Israeli forces also arrested two Palestinians in separate incidents in East Jerusalem and northern Tulkarm, while Palestinian officials reported an overnight raid on a wedding hall in al-Eizariya. A young man was also wounded by live fire during an Israeli raid in Beit Fajjar, south of Bethlehem, according to the same reports.
The latest measures leave at least one Palestinian home under Israeli military control while access to the wider Ras al-Ain area remains restricted.
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.