The United Arab Emirates will defend its right to freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz while continuing to pursue diplomatic options, the UAE president's diplomatic adviser Anwar Gargash said on Saturday.
Gargash said repeated attacks on vessels operated by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) would not push the UAE away from what he described as a “balanced and rational” policy based on deterrence, diplomacy and international law.
“We will safeguard our rights to freedom of navigation and use of the Strait of Hormuz in accordance with international law and will defend our sovereignty and interests, while continuing the path of dialogue and giving priority to diplomatic options,” Gargash wrote in a post on X.
He also said the UAE would work to strengthen a unified Gulf position, describing it as an important element in protecting regional security and the interests of Gulf states during the continuing crisis.
The remarks followed a series of incidents involving ADNOC-linked vessels in and around the strait. UAE state news agency WAM reported that two ADNOC vessels came under attack while transiting Hormuz on Aug. 13, with no injuries reported and the situation brought under control. ADNOC said it remained focused on the safety of seafarers and the protection of freedom of navigation and maritime security.
Reuters reported separately that an ADNOC vessel came under attack while transiting the strait on Aug. 14, according to WAM. It said the incident was the third involving ADNOC vessels in less than a week. The UAE had previously accused Iran of being responsible for earlier attacks, although there was no official UAE attribution for the latest incident at the time of the Reuters report.
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations agency also reported receiving information on Aug. 14 that a bulk carrier had been struck by an unidentified projectile in the strait.
The UAE Foreign Ministry said the attack on the ADNOC vessel breached UN Security Council Resolution 2817, which it said affirmed the importance of freedom of navigation. Abu Dhabi called for attacks on commercial vessels to stop and for the waterway to be reopened.
The Strait of Hormuz, between Iran and Oman, is a major route for global energy shipments. Before the current conflict, about one-fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas passed through the waterway. Shipping has fallen sharply since the US-Israeli war with Iran began on Feb. 28, disrupting commercial traffic and increasing security concerns.
Gargash's latest remarks leave the UAE's stated approach centred on defending its maritime interests while maintaining dialogue and seeking greater coordination among Gulf states.
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.