Two tankers operated by the United Arab Emirates' state-owned energy company ADNOC were struck by drones while passing through the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday evening, with no casualties reported, according to the company and maritime authorities.
The UAE blamed Iran for the attacks and accused its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of acts of piracy. Iran had not publicly responded to the allegation by early Friday.
ADNOC said the two vessels were attacked on 13 August while transiting the strategic waterway and that the situation had been brought under control. It did not identify the tankers, disclose their cargoes or provide details of any damage.
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations centre separately reported that two vessels suffered minor damage in drone attacks while passing through the strait. It did not identify the ships as the ADNOC vessels, but the incidents appeared to correspond with the company's account.
The UAE Foreign Ministry described the incident as a “hostile Iranian attack” and said it violated UN Security Council Resolution 2817, which addresses freedom of navigation and attacks on commercial shipping.
“Targeting commercial shipping and using the Strait of Hormuz as a tool of economic coercion or blackmail represents acts of piracy by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, and constitutes a direct threat to the stability of the region, its peoples, and global energy security,” the ministry said.
The attack was the second reported incident involving an ADNOC-linked vessel in less than a week. The UAE accused Iran on Saturday of targeting another vessel connected to the company as it passed through Hormuz.
ADNOC said on 7 August that 15 of its vessels had been targeted by missiles or drones since the conflict began, with one person killed and 20 others injured. The company said the attacks had significantly affected its operations but that it was continuing to meet customer requirements.
The latest incident comes as commercial traffic through Hormuz remains severely disrupted. Kpler data cited by Reuters showed nine commodity vessels passed through the strait on Thursday, up from five a day earlier but below the August average of 12. Most used routes designated by Iran.
Before the war began on 28 February, roughly a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas supplies passed through the narrow waterway separating Iran from Oman. The conflict has repeatedly disrupted traffic and increased security and shipping costs.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards have previously threatened action against vessels linked to countries Tehran considers adversaries or ships that do not comply with Iranian navigation directives.
The UAE called on Iran to halt attacks and allow the strait to reopen fully and without conditions.
Neither the Iranian Foreign Ministry nor the IRGC had issued an immediate response to the UAE's allegations.
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.