Ukraine launched hundreds of drones across Russia overnight on Sunday in one of its largest aerial attacks of the war, according to Russian authorities, with strikes reported around Moscow and in the southern Rostov region leaving at least six people dead.

Russia’s Defence Ministry said its forces had destroyed 822 Ukrainian drones during the overnight attacks. Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said about 600 drones had been detected heading towards the capital, with 201 destroyed over the Moscow region.

The Moscow region governor, Andrei Vorobyov, said an 83-year-old man was killed after a drone struck a private home in Podolsk, south of Moscow. Several other people were injured, according to regional authorities.

A large fire also broke out at a Wildberries distribution warehouse in Koledino, about 45km south of Moscow. Reuters footage showed a large plume of smoke rising from the site after the strike.

Sobyanin described the scale of the attack as the largest aerial raid on Moscow in two years. The Russian military said it had intercepted the drones, but the reported figure refers to drones destroyed and does not establish how many were launched in total.

The attacks also reached Russia’s Rostov region, where Governor Yury Slyusar said five people were killed across three towns. More than 150 drones were reported in the attack, which damaged homes and a railway station and triggered a forest fire.

The Ukrainian military has not publicly commented on the strikes, according to RFE/RL. Ukraine has increasingly used long-range drones to target Russian military, energy and logistics infrastructure deep inside the country.

The latest attack came as Russia carried out its own overnight strikes on Ukraine. Ukrainian officials said Russian attacks killed five people, including two in Kryvyi Rih and others in Sumy and Zaporizhzhia, while a missile strike damaged Ukraine’s largest steel plant and attacks caused fires in Kyiv.