Israeli search-and-rescue teams have joined international efforts to find survivors after a 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck western Colombia, with rescuers reporting possible signs of life four days after the disaster.
The Israeli team is working alongside Colombian responders and international crews from Venezuela and Argentina, according to the Associated Press. Reuters also reported that Colombia had accepted rescue teams from the United States and Israel after initially declining some offers of foreign assistance.
The earthquake struck on Monday, 10 August, with its epicentre near San José del Palmar in the department of Chocó. It caused extensive damage across western Colombia, including in Cali and Pereira, where buildings collapsed and thousands of residents were displaced.
By Friday, Colombian authorities said at least 287 people had been killed and nearly 4,000 injured, while almost 400 people remained missing. The figures were reported as rescue operations continued in areas where people were believed to be trapped beneath collapsed buildings.
In Pereira, the mayor said rescuers had made contact with a woman believed to be trapped inside a collapsed hotel. Authorities in Cali also reported possible signs of life involving at least three people beneath the rubble, prompting crews to extend search operations through Saturday.
The Israeli deployment follows a broader history of Israeli disaster-response missions overseas, including recent operations in Venezuela after deadly earthquakes there. Israel's Home Front Command said in July that dozens of Israeli experts were working with Venezuelan authorities on structural assessments and recovery planning.
Colombia's acceptance of the Israeli team comes as President Abelardo de la Espriella's government has moved to strengthen relations with Israel. Earlier this week, his administration recognised Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, a move that drew condemnation from Syria and several Arab governments.
The Colombian government has faced criticism over its handling of foreign rescue offers, while officials have said they are prioritising teams and assistance that meet technical requirements. Reuters reported that the government later accepted teams from countries including Israel and the United States.
The earthquake has affected more than 100,000 people, damaged or destroyed tens of thousands of homes and caused damage to schools, medical facilities and community centres across hundreds of cities. Rescue crews continued searching the rubble on Friday as the window for finding survivors narrowed.
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.