South Korean President Lee Jae Myung has proposed talks with North Korea to formally end the Korean War and establish a peace regime, while also calling for discussions on measures to halt the advancement of Pyongyang’s nuclear capabilities.
Speaking on Saturday at a ceremony marking the 81st anniversary of Korea’s liberation from Japanese colonial rule, Lee urged the two Koreas to move away from confrontation.
“Let us put aside our intentions to threaten each other and begin talks to end this long-standing war as the two parties directly concerned,” Lee said, according to the text of his address. He added that such discussions could also address “effective measures” to stop the development of North Korea’s nuclear capabilities.
The Korean War, fought from 1950 to 1953, ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty. The two countries therefore remain technically at war, separated by the heavily fortified Demilitarised Zone.
Lee said Seoul would pursue sustained measures to reduce tensions and establish safeguards against accidental clashes or escalation. His proposal builds on a broader policy of peaceful coexistence adopted by his government since taking office.
South Korea’s Ministry of Unification has made the pursuit of peaceful coexistence a central policy goal. Its 2026–2030 framework calls for respect for North Korea’s political system, opposition to unification by absorption and a halt to hostile acts, while also seeking progress towards a peace regime and a nuclear-free peninsula.
The ministry said in July that, given the seriousness of North Korea’s nuclear programme, Seoul would prioritise a practical approach aimed first at halting its further development rather than making complete denuclearisation an immediate precondition for dialogue.
There has so far been little indication that Pyongyang is prepared to accept Lee’s overture. North Korea has rejected previous South Korean proposals for engagement, while leader Kim Jong Un has abandoned the North’s longstanding policy of pursuing reunification with the South and has described Seoul as a hostile state, according to Reuters.
Tensions remain particularly high ahead of annual US-South Korean military exercises scheduled to begin on 17 August. North Korea has condemned the drills and warned of a stronger response, while Seoul and Washington describe the exercises as defensive.
North Korea also carried out a ballistic missile launch on 11 August, its second such test in less than a week, according to South Korean and Japanese authorities. The missile travelled more than 700 kilometres before falling into waters between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.
At the same time, Pyongyang’s relations with Moscow have continued to deepen. Russian President Vladimir Putin told Kim in a message marking Korea’s liberation anniversary that Russia and North Korea were coordinating on regional security and stability, according to North Korean state media cited by Reuters.
Lee’s proposal therefore comes as Seoul seeks dialogue while military tensions remain elevated and North Korea continues to expand its weapons capabilities and strengthen ties with Russia.
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.